The price of of full-day lift tickets at Utah’s ski resorts has skyrocketed in recent years and is now topping out at an astronomical $100 a day! If you’re budget-minded like me, this price won’t fly even with 12″ of fresh powder on the slopes.
Instead of skipping the season altogether, try these frugal ways to get your powder fix. Deals also abound for newbies and those with little ones who want to shred the slopes. We will update this list with more offers when we see them!
1. Quad Wednesdays at Brighton. Every December,Brighton offers discounted tickets on Wednesdays with donations to charities. Usually the lift ticket is $20, but Brighton hasn’t posted this info yet so the amount may change.
2. FREE lift tickets with Geigerrig Pack purchase. When you purchase a Geigerrig you receive a free Skullcandy High Adventure Pass that includes FREE lift tickets to Utah ski resortsand others in North America (no purchase required). You’ll get buy one free at Canyons, a FREE lift ticket to Eagle Point, a FREE lift ticket to Brian Head, and a FREE lift ticket to Sundance. You’ll also get summer tickets to mountain bike at the same resorts.
3. Deeply discounted tickets on Liftopia.com– Liftopia is a great source for advance purchase tickets, but not last minute decisions! Head to Liftopia.com and buy your tickets in advance for up to 90% off regular price. Liftopia sells discounted, date-specific lift tikets, rentals, and lessons to over 150 resorts in North America. You must pre-buy for the date you plan to ski, so purchase early if you are planning to go over a holiday.
4. Discounted tickets available at local ski shops, Costco, or REI. In Utah you can score discounted lift tickets at Canyon Sports and AJ Motion Sports. REI and Costco members can also purchase discounted tickets in stores, but you will need to check with a local store to find out which resorts are available. I have seen tickets to Canyons and Park City Mountain Resort at Costco in the past.
5. $25 Lift Tickets at Eagle Point. Ski at Southern Utah’s newest resort, Eagle Point for just $25 all season long! Located 3.5 hours from Salt Lake City or Las Vegas and is a great getaway from crowded resorts.
7. Santas ski FREE at Canyons Resort. Dress in a full Santa suit and head to The Canyons on Saturday, December 21, 2013. If you are one of the first 50 to arrive in the morning, you will receive a FREE full-day lift ticket. Now that’s a jolly way to ring in the holidays!
8. New skiers can learn and earn season pass at Snowbasin. This is a great way to get introduced to the sport of skiing or snowboarding! First-time child or adult skiers or snowboarders can learn to ride while earning a free season pass at Snowbasin. Just complete five two-hour beginner lessons for $295 (which include lift ticket and rentals) and receive a FREE season pass valid for the remainder of the season.
9. Discounted tickets for new skiers during January’s Learn to Ski or Snowboard Month. 2014 program details are not yet available, but this month brings great beginner packages that include lift tickets, rentals, and lessons at a minimal cost so newbies can get interested in snowsports. Check for updated details here.
10. Ski FreeAfter 3 at Alta. This program is no longer free, but instead you can ski Alta after 3:00 p.m. for just $10 a ticket or $5 for a card reload. The Sunnyside, Albion, and Cecret lifts are open. The three base are tows will be free all day every day, which is a great place to teach newbie skiers or boarders.
11. 5th and 6th graders ski FREE with Ski Utah Passport. Fifth graders ski or ride three times FREE* at each of Utah’s 14 resorts with Ski Utah’s Fifth Grade Passport. The Sixth Grade Passport allows sixth graders to ski or ride one time FREE* at each resort. (*$25 processing fee)
12. Kids 6 and under ski FREE! Brighton, Canyons, Eagle Point, Park City Mountain Resort, Powder Mountain, Snowbasin, Snowbird, and Solitude allow kiddos under 6 to ski FREE with a paying adult. Sundance allows kids 5 and under the same deal.
13. Santa skis FREE at Brighton. Wear a full Santa suit to Brighton on December 24 and ski for FREE all day.
Photo courtesy of Canyons Ski Resort.
Food & Drink
Find daily restaurant specials and other food & drink deals in Salt Lake City.